INTRAVENOUS SEDATION (I.V. Sedation)
If you will be having I.V. sedation please make sure you follow these instructions:
- Nothing to eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to surgery. Please take regular medications prescribed by your physician as usual with very little water as early in the day as possible, unless instructed otherwise. If you are scheduled for an afternoon intravenous sedation surgery, please get up early enough to eat breakfast at least eight (8) hours prior to surgery. A responsible adult must take you home and remain with you following your surgery.
If you elect to use one of the following oral sedatives you must have a ride to and from the office. Please bring your remaining tablets with you.
- Ativan (Lorazepam)
- Valium (Diazepam)
- Triazalam (Halcion)
IMPORTANT THINGS TO FOLLOW
• Any aspirin, coumadin or blood thinning drug you might be taking, will be addressed on an individual basis by Dr. Vasanthan and Dr. Azarnoush prior to treatment.
• NO alcohol consumption 24 hours prior to surgery.
• Take your normal prescription medication with little water, unless instructed otherwise.
• Notify staff of medications that you have taken on the day of your procedure.
• Wear a short-sleeve garment or if full sleeve it must be easy to pull up over the arms.
• Wear comfortable walking shoes, No high heels.
• If you are having intravenous sedation surgery, please remove nail polish atleast on one finger as we will attach a sensor to your finger.
• Remove contact lenses the day of your surgery and wear glasses if possible.
• Prepare ice packs and have soft nutritious foods available at home.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics or other medications.
When preparing a post-operative menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
Should you have any questions or concerns during regular office hours, please do not hesitate to contact us at (916) 962-0545.